What is an MRI ?
MRI, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, is a method of obtaining detailed images of the internal body structures, without the use of radiation. A large magnet, radio waves and computers generate advanced detailed images that cannot be seen on conventional x-rays. An advanced medical technique, this will probably be one of the easiest and most comfortable exams you will experience.
How Does an MRI Work ?
The human body is made up of millions of atoms. When placed in a magnetic field, these atoms line up with the field, much like a compass points to the north. Radio waves produce signals that with a powerful antenna are picked up and sent to a computer, which performs millions of calculations to produce pristine images for diagnosis. During the exam you will be asked to lie on a cushioned table as a device called a â€œcoilâ€ will be placed over or under you. The coil is designed to produce the clearest image possible. From here you will hear a thumping sound for several minutes at a time. Relax and lie still as any movement can blur the picture. The technologist will always be in touch with you.
How do I prepare for a MRI Scan ?
- The day of your scan, bring your health insurance cards with you
- Please remember to bring your doctor’s written prescription for the test with you
- Please wear comfortable clothing with no metallic parts
- Eat normally and continue your daily routine
- Continue any medications prescribed by your physician unless otherwise instructed
- Please bring your favorite CD so that it can be played for you during your exam. The technologist will then thoroughly explain the procedure with you
- You will be asked to leave the following items in a secured locker. Eyeglasses, jewelry, watches, coins, credit cards, keys, and other metal items
- When scheduling your exam, and again prior to your exam, please inform our staff about any of the following: pacemaker, metal implants, pregnancy, surgical staples, aneurysm clips, permanent tattoos and any foreign metal objects in the eye
- Expect your visit to last from 30-60 minutes for a single scan
Molecular MRI Benefits
- Same day/next day appointment availability
- Open MRI to alleviate claustrophobic patients
- Trilingual staff (English,Spanish and Polish)
- Patient Centered Caring staff
- Reports faxed to your physician within 24 hours
- Stat and wet reads available
- Board Certified Radiologists including Chiropractic and Podiatric Radiologists
- Most insurances accepted
- Free parking and transportation (when needed)