What is a PET/CT scan ?
Positron Emission Tomography (PET/CT ) is a highly advanced imaging technique capable of detecting changes in physiology. rather than changes in anatomy, like conventional imaging tools such MRI, CT or X-Ray . Because PET/CT detects changes in physiology at the cellular level, it can detect certain medical conditions at a much earlier stage than conventional imaging scanners. The images produced by a PET/CT scan will provide your physician with valuable information needed in the planning, management and the selection of better therapies that are best suited for your individual condition.
Does insurance cover PET/CT?
Yes, many PET/CT procedures are covered by both Medicare and private insurance companies. However, we recommend that you contact your insurance provider directly.
How do I prepare for a PET/CT Scan ?
- Your exam involves a small injection which is shipped in just for you; if you need to cancel your appointment please give us a minimum of 24 hours notice so we don’t waste your injection.
- There are no restrictions on medications, except cough syrup.
- Diabetic Patients – Take your oral medication at your normal time or at least 2 hours prior to the time of your appointment. Taking your medication within 2 hours of your appointment time will interfere with your exam results.
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING OTHER THAN WATER FOR 5-6 HOURS BEFORE YOUR SCAN.
- Wear warm loose comfortable clothing, with NO METAL
- For dinner the night before your scan or breakfast on the day of your scan (5-6 hours prior to appointment time)
Do Not Eat
- Breads, Pasta, Cereal
- Milk or Dairy Products
- Potatoes or Rice
- Food/Beverages containing Sugar
- Foods high in Carbohydrates
* No Gum or Candy – Including Sugarless Items
- Any type of meat or eggs
- Green Vegetables
* Only Water to Drink
Please be sure to drink 20 – 30 ounces of water before your scheduled appointment time
Avoid strenuous activities for 24 hours before your scan.